Every Monday, I volunteer at the cancer center where I was treated. I know it sounds crazy, but I love that place. I love the people, I love the facility. And I love that I'm no longer in treatment. After a busy weekend of activities and chores, it's a great way to start my week. It grounds me and reminds me how far I've come. Yesterday was no different. Let's be honest, I am not curing cancer, but I enjoy talking to patients while I push around a library cart filled with books and magazines to offer them, all neatly organized by the women who set up the lending library.
With all the electronic gadgets available, and the fact that the center has WiFi, plus each patient bay has a flat screen tv, I don't get too many takers for my reading material. In fact, yesterday I had none. Not even the cute little man who sits with his wife weekly and is always is search of a crossword puzzle book on my cart. I think it must have been their week off.
But, it's okay. I don't take it personally. I enjoy the conversation with the patients and that's the real reason I'm there.( Don't tell anyone, but I am not much of a reader so I am no help when patients look for suggestions.) I see a couple of breast cancer patients regularly and spend more time with them answering questions and sharing my experiences. I don't think they realize that they inspire me more than I help them. I talked with one woman last week who was preparing for surgery as she nears the end of her treatment. She had an awful look on her face when I parked my cart nearby. So I asked her about it and it turns out she is worried about the drains after her mastectomy. I told her they are in for a short time and not near as gross as the book she was reading described them to be. I could see the relief on her face and I felt so much joy just from offering my little piece of information.
And it's not just the breast cancer patients. I am by nature a chatty, upbeat person and will talk to anyone with a pulse, but not until I've had some morning caffeine. Most people will have a spouse or chemo buddy along, and they may be watching tv, playing cards or just visiting over the yummy soup served daily by another volunteer named Bob. But I will always stop by, introduce myself and chat a little bit about anything. There are a few patients who come alone and I make extra time for them, like the sweet man who I know lives alone and his kids live out of state. He likes to talk about his cats and his former career as a veterinarian.
So as long as the patients are there, I will push that cart around every Monday, trying not to knock over any IV poll, and share my cancer story. I may show a photo or two of my boys. Sometimes we talk kids. Sometimes we talk pets, vacations, tight finances, where to get wigs and scarves, and, of course, cancer. We discuss big pending tests and countdown to the end of treatment. If I can offer a little hope with my story, then I have done my job, regardless if I have given out any books or magazines. And as I drive home, I am reminded each week of where I was two short years ago, and feel grateful for where I am today.
No comments:
Post a Comment